The All Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group, of which the MTA is a member, is holding a public session at the MTC, Ansty Park, Nr Coventry, on 5th September from 13:00.
The session will feature contributions from the Group’s Chairs, Barry Sheerman MP and Chris White MP about the work of the Group and its recent Report; “Making Good” to which the MTA contributed. That discussion will be followed by a panel discussion led by local MP Mark Pawsey featuring MTC member and local businesses as well as David Atkinson, the new Head of Manufacturing at Lloyds Bank. The discussion will seek to cover the following points:
1. What are the main challenges facing UK manufacturing, and how do they compare internationally?
2. Is the aim of increasing manufacturing to 20% of GDP realistic/worthwhile?
3. What elements of a long-term fiscal framework would be most beneficial for the sector?
4. How should the government approach different-sized businesses and industries? Should it be ‘picking winners’?
5. What else should government be doing to increase the competitiveness of UK manufacturing?
6. What are the best components of the current industrial strategy? What is missing?
If you would like to attend, or if you have suggestions and observations to feed in, please contact the MTA’s Head of External Affairs, Paul O’Donnell at email@example.com
The same day and venue will also host a morning session on Advanced Automation and Robotics held in collaboration with the Midlands Manufacturing Network to which manufacturers are also invited.
You can find more details about the day here http://www.policyconnect.org.uk/apmg/events/growing-uk-manufacturing-innovation-training-and-skills.