The Institute of Materials Finishing was founded in 1925, its title then being the Electroplaters and Depositors Technical Society. The area of interest broadened into all aspects of surface finishing on metal when it assumed the title of the Institute of Metal Finishing in 1951. In 2013 the name was changed to the Institute of Materials Finishing to embrace all technologies of surface finishing on a much wider variety of materials. Its main purpose is to disseminate technical information by means of technical publications, meetings and conferences.
To provide a focus for Surface Engineering and Finishing activities worldwide through the fulfillment of the technical, educational and professional needs at all levels for both individuals and companies involved in the coatings industry.