Last week MTA President and Director of Yamazaki Mazak Europe Marcus Burton was honoured by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) at their 2019 Achievement Awards. Marcus was presented with the Mensforth Gold Medal for Manufacturing.
The IET Achievement Awards exist to recognise individuals from all over the world who have made exceptional contributions to the advancement of engineering, technology and science in any sector. This can be through research and development in their respective technical fields or through their leadership of an enterprise.
Marcus said of his award "It is a great honour to receive this medal more than forty years after starting my engineering career. This award is testament to the opportunities I have had working with the best manufacturing innovators. In particular my last fourteen years at Yamazaki Mazak have been truly inspirational.”
He continued: “Throughout my career I have argued strongly that, with the correct level of investment, the UK is an excellent location for manufacturing and that the impact and importance of manufacturing for the economy has been systematically underestimated and undervalued. As the President of the Manufacturing Technologies Association I will continue to champion the importance of our sector at the highest level."
MTA CEO James Selka said “We would like to extend our congratulations to Marcus for winning the Mensforth Gold Medal for Manufacturing, his contribution to the UK manufacturing has been significant. It is fantastic that the IET have recognised his hard work and dedication by presenting him with this award. We look forward to continuing to work closely with Marcus and representing the UK Manufacturing Technology sector.”
Find out more about the Achievement Awards here: www.theiet.org/achievement.
Full list of Achievement Award Winners:
• Faraday Medal – Sir Peter Knight FRS
• Mountbatten Medal – Dr Irwin Jacobs
• Mensforth Gold Medal for Manufacturing – Marcus Burton
• J J Thomson Medal for Electronics – Professor Chenming Hu
• Achievement Medals – Dr Michael Burrows FRS, Terrie Smith, Dr Richard Soref, Aruna Sundararajan
• IET Volunteer Medal – Paul Meenan
• Paul Fletcher Award for Young Professionals – Mr Tan Wee Ser
• Mike Sargeant Career Achievement Medal – Anirudh Koul
• Sir Henry Royce Medal for Young Professionals – Dr Robert Hoye
• Apprentice of the Year – Thomas Sutherland
• Technician of the Year – Jonathan Potter
Armed Forces Technician of the Year – Warrant Officer class 2 (WO2) Kay Howells